St Simon Stock Catholic Church
The parish of St Simon Stock, South Ashford is a parish of The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark. We offer pastoral care for those in and around the South Ashford area. Our parish school is St Simon of England Catholic School.
Priest in Charge – Fr Hans Puthiakulangara
Telephone: 01233 622 399
Eucharistic Adoration Volunteers Needed
More volunteers are needed to join the teams of adorers who keep Jesus company for one hour each week in Eucharistic Adoration.
Weekly Adoration is each Friday from 10.00am to 9pm except of First Fridays when it finishes at 7.45pm for Mass at 8.00pm.
If you can spare one hour a week to join our team please fill in one of the cards that can be found in the pews or in the church entrance.
Please hand them in along with the Sunday collection. If you would like to know more please contact Lesley Perk or email us.
Church Readers Needed
We are looking to recruit new readers, including young people who are in school year 6 and above, to join the team who read at Sunday Mass particularly for the 6pm Mass. If you feel that this ministry is for you please give you name and contact details to Lijoy, our reader coordinator or or email us.
- Collections This Week – Church Fete and Craft Fayre Sun, Oct 13, 2019 - This weeks collections are for our ‘Jarbola’ stall and for pre-loved toys and books For our ‘Jarbola’ stall we are asking families to fill a jar with items suitable for children. Please wrap and decorate them. Bring them to Mass next week. We also ask to you bring in any pre-loved toys and books for…
- Parish newsletter for this week Sun, Oct 13, 2019 - Adam here, this weeks update includes the newsletter and updates for the Church Fete and Craft Fayre in October. Coming up next week is the Pilgrimage to Aylesford Priory and the Church Fete and Craft Fayre.
- Parish newsletter for this week Sun, Sep 22, 2019 - Adam here, this weeks update includes the newsletter and updates for the Church Fete and Craft Fayre in October. Coming up next week is the Building A Better Marriage Day on Saturday 28th September. Coming up in October is the Pilgrimage to Aylesford Priory and the Church Fete and Craft Fayre.
- Parish newsletter for this week Sun, Sep 15, 2019 - Adam here, its getting dark earlier and the nights are drawing in. We are now switching the heating back on and deciding on warmer clothing and breaking out the evening cocoa! This weeks update includes the newsletter and news events in the calendar. Later this month is Building A Better Marriage Day (Saturday 28th September)…
- Church fete and Craft fair – Saturday 26th October Sun, Sep 8, 2019 - Taking place in our Church Hall on Saturday 26th October from 11am until 2pm. There will be our popular tombola, various craft stalls, stalls for bottles and cakes, a barbecue and a raffle. This is the parish’s main fund raising event so we ask that each parishioner takes a couple of raffle tickets to sell.
- Parish Pilgrimage to Aylesford – Saturday October 19th Sun, Sep 8, 2019 - We encourage you join the Pilgrimage to Aylesford. We will be traveling in our own cars and lifts will be available to those who need them. We will leaving Ashford about 9am to arrive at the priory approx 10.15am. It is expected to finish at 4pm. Contact us for more details
Church Events in the Parish
The Galilee Group – Second Friday of the month
An open group from men discerning their vocation. The group meets for Holy Mass, faith formation and as an opportunity to get to know others searching for the will of God in their lives. Kent Area Meeting: The Presbytery of St. Thomas’ Church, Canterbury (59 Burgate CT1 2HJ) at 6.30pm on the second Friday of the month for a formation talk followed by Holy Mass at 7.30pm, followed by supper.
First Holy Communion Programme
This course is for the children from our school who are Year 3 (Age 7+). For your child to participate in this course, please see Catarina for an application form. Return all forms to the Church office.
Missa Cantata with the Victoria Consort
Held on the second Sunday of the month from 12.15pm and will be a Missa Cantata with the Victoria Consort, a semi-professional chamber choir based in Kent.
Parish Pilgrimage to Aylesford Priory – Saturday October 19th
We encourage you join the Pilgrimage to Aylesford Priory. We will be sharing transport so if you are interested in coming please sign up to the list on the church noticeboard, and indicate whether your will drive and can offer a lift or if you require a lift.
- We will be welcomed by a Friar at 10.30am. There will be a short talk lasting 10-15 mins after which there will be refreshments in the Pilgrims Hall.
- Mass will be at 12pm followed by lunch at 1.15pm.
- Lunch will be available in the Pilgrims Hall at a cost of £6 or pilgrims can bring their own pack lunch if preferred.
- After lunch there will be free time until 3pm when there will be Rosary.
- Adoration and Benediction will follow in the Choir Chapel at 3.30pm.
Church Fete and Craft Fayre – Sunday 27th October (New Date)
The parish’s main fund raising event will be taking place in our Church Hall on Sunday 27th October from 11.30am until 2.30pm. There will be our popular tombola, various craft stalls, stalls for bottles and cakes, a barbecue and a raffle.
This is the parish’s main fund raiser for the year so we ask that each parishioner takes a couple of raffle tickets to sell. A book of 4 tickets is £1 and the prizes are
- 1st Prize: £100
- 2nd Prize: £50
- 3rd Prize: £25
Raffles tickets will be available from beginning of October
We hope this will be an enjoyable day and we look forward to you support.
In addition, we will be looking for donations for a various stalls so please check to see if you have any unwanted gifts that we can use for prizes for the tombola, bottles of alcohol (wine, beer, liqueur etc.) for our bottle stall.
We would also like homemade jams, preserves and chutneys, homemade cakes and biscuits.
Please watch the newsletter in the coming weeks for further details of when to bring in donations.
This weeks update – 13th October
Help is still needed for running stalls and for setting up and clearing up after; please visit the church notice board and use the sign up sheet or see Lesley Perk or Thereza Barker.
Collections for this week – ‘Jarbola’ Stall and Pre-loved Toys and Books
For our ‘Jarbola’ stall we are asking families to fill a jar with items suitable for children. Please wrap and decorate them. Bring them to Mass next week.
We also ask to you bring in any pre-loved toys and books for the book stall.
Want to book a stall?
If you would like to book a stall please see Thereza Baker or Lesley Perk. We have small number of individual craft stalls for which there will be a charge of £8 (if proceeds of sales are not going to the church funds)
Want to run a stall or help out?
If you would like to book a stall or help out please see Thereza Baker or Lesley Perk.
I like this place because it’s 2 minutes away from my school. Junior Msoka
Information very clear and easy to understand. Esperanza Pulgarin
Very pleasant place to worship….the priest came to bless my home very lovely man of God. Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity. More anointing. Oju Lydia
It was good fun for everyone at the parish bbq today, organised and cooked by the mens group will definitely buy the chicken sausages! Plenty to keep the children happy thanks to one of the parishioners! A true parish community! Shirley Hook