Part of The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark
The parish of St Simon Stock, South Ashford is a parish of The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark. We offer pastoral care for those in and around the South Ashford area. Our parish school is St Simon of England Catholic School.
Important Church Notices
Our Church is open for the celebration of Mass
We have Mass only on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays.
All of the previous Covid safety precautions remain.
- Wearing of a mask at Mass is mandatory unless medically exempt.
- Hands should be sanitised on entering the church.
- The Rule of 6 and the social distancing rules will be observed and the restriction on numbers attending are all back in force.
- Please remember that you should leave the church premises immediately after Mass unless you are helping with cleaning and if gathering outside should make sure that the social distancing rules are observed.
Today is Peace Sunday
Today is a day of prayer for peace on Earth. The Bishops of England and Wales invite us to make today a day of prayer for world peace, using the theme proposed by Pope Francis on World Peace Day: ‘A Culture of Care as a Path to Peace’.
The Covid-19 pandemic has certainly thrown up the question of the value we place on carers and the need to work together to support the vulnerable. Unless we put caring at the heart of our personal and community life, we certainly won’t be able to ‘build back better’. But ‘a culture of care’ means more than that – a rejection of carelessness, callousness and violence; and a recommitment to the path of peace and reconciliation. There will be a second collection for Pax Christi, the International Catholic Movement for Peace.
Octave of prayer for Christian unity begins tomorrow
The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is traditionally observed from the 18th to the 25th January – the octave of St. Peter and St. Paul. The theme this year is, “Abide in my love and you shall bear much fruit”, is based on John 15:1-17
Next Sunday is The Sunday of The Word of God
This is a day to be devoted to the celebration, study and dissemination of the Word of God”. Pope Francis wants to make sure everyone is entrusted with the Word of God; he wants to “stimulate all Christians not just to place the Bible on the shelf as one of many books, perhaps filled with dust, but as an instrument that awakens our faith. The Bible is the book of the Lord’s people, who, in listening to it, move from dispersion and division towards unity. The word of God unites believers and makes them one people.
Volunteering for The Church – Sharing Time and Talents
Please consider volunteering for some of the tasks that keep our church functioning smoothly; we are particularly looking for people to become stewards at Mass and for those who can spare a couple of hours on a Saturday to come and clean the church thus ensuring that it look it’s best. The more people we have, the fewer times you will have to come. Please see Fr. Hans if you can give a little time to help. Thank you.
Please use the Mass Intentions Form. Your offering for the Mass can be made by bank transfer.
Thank you for your weekly offerings. Although the church, and hall, have not been open in the ordinary sense there are still significant outgoings for the parish. Your continued commitment to the running of the parish is greatly appreciated.
Your kind donations will go to the Catholic Children’s Society Southwark Crisis Fund. Since March the CCS has provided emergency food and essentials, as well as mental health services, for over five and half thousand children and their parents/carers. There are many more families in need of support and our Crib offering will support this important work. The Crib will remain on display throughout the Christmas season and up to 2nd February, the feast of the Presentation of the Lord (Candlemas).
Known as the Ecclesiastical Education Fund, pays for men studying for the Priesthood and Diaconate here in Southwark. It costs £30,000 a year, for six years, to sponsor each seminarian, so your generous support in this appeal makes a real difference in our ability to fund and support men saying ‘Yes’ to the vocation of Priesthood. We currently have 8 men in formation for the Priesthood for Southwark. You can donate online via www.rcsouthwark.co.uk/donate.html (select Priest Training Fund) or by scanning the QR code on the poster on the church window. Please be generous and keep our seminarians, and priests, in your prayers. Thank you.
Church Refurbishment Work
All the flooring works in the church have now been completed; and we are sure you will agree that it looks splendid and will enhance our church for many years to come. The total cost for all the work done is £7650 and the current contributions are £4566. Should you wish to contribute towards the remaining balance of £3084 please put your donation in an envelope, clearly marked ‘flooring’, in one of the collection boxes by the doors. Many thanks to all those who have already contributed.
Priest in Charge – Fr Hans Puthiakulangara
Telephone: 01233 622 399
Inaugural Mass for Silver Jubilee
at St Simon Stock RC Church Ashford
- This Week’s Parish Newsletter Sun, Jan 17, 2021 - Adam here with this week’s newsletter which is ready to download. I hope that you are all keeping well and warm. It has been very cold of late. Today is Peace Sunday and a day of prayer for peace on Earth. The Bishops of England and Wales invite us to make today a day of…
- Today is Peace Sunday Sun, Jan 17, 2021 - Today is a day of prayer for peace on Earth. The Bishops of England and Wales invite us to make today a day of prayer for world peace, using the theme proposed by Pope Francis on World Peace Day: ‘A Culture of Care as a Path to Peace’. The Covid-19 pandemic has certainly thrown up…
- A Prayer to Saint Sebastian Protector Against Plague Sun, Jan 17, 2021 - Saint Sebastian, guard and defend us, morning and evening, every minute of every hour, and diminish the strength of the illness which is threatening us. We put our trust in God, in Our Lady, and in you, Holy Martyr. Be with us always, and by your merits and prayers keep us safe and sound. Amen.
- Volunteering for The Church – Sharing Time and Talents Sun, Jan 17, 2021 - We ask for more volunteers to help keep our church functioning smoothly. We are particularly looking for people to become stewards at Mass and for those who can spare a couple of hours on a Saturday to come and clean the church and keep it looking it’s best. The more people we have, the fewer…
- This Week’s Parish Newsletter Sat, Jan 9, 2021 - Adam here with this week’s newsletter which is ready to download. I hope that you all had good Christmas and New Year celebrations. Today we celebrate the Baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist! Firstly, Fr. Hans sends his thanks to you all for the Christmas presents, donations, cards and good wishes received. Next Sunday…
- Lilian Sheila Salmon RIP Sat, Jan 9, 2021 - It is with great sadness that we report that Sheila, a long time parishioner, and friend to many in the parish, died at the William Harvey Hospital on Sunday 3rd January aged 85. Her energy, enthusiasm and service to the parish were undimmed even by long term illness. She was a fundraiser for the RNLI…
Receive the Parish Newsletter by Email
Receive our parish newsletter by email for the latest news and events taking taking place at our church.